I think it's probably when my roses start to bloom. Either that, or it's when my husband and I start saying, "Only two months till the Bears preseason starts!"
2.) Name five of your favorite distinctively summer habits or customs.
• reading mysteries--for some reason I always want to do that in summer
• going to the Ravinia outdoor music festival at least once with my husband--we always take wine, french bread, and a selection of cheeses, fruit, and deli meats
• buying iced gourmet coffee instead of hot gourmet coffee at the coffee shop
• wearing my turquoise / silver jewelry--I never seem to wear it in winter
• driving up to the Kenosha Harbor and walking with my husband and dog along the waterfront (while drinking iced gourmet coffee)
3.) What is your favorite smell of summer?
my antique roses
4.) What is your favorite taste of summer?
Starbucks lowfat latte ice cream. I will eat coffee ice cream in other seasons, but I crave it in summer. Oh, I also love to make mocha milkshakes with it.
5.) Favorite summer memory?
Taking trips to Door County, Wisconsin, with Michael (my husband)
6.) Extreme heat or extreme cold? Which would you choose and why?
I don't like either. I wish the temperature was always between 25 and 85. Why, you might ask, do I live in northern Illinois? Well, despite the weather, I'm attached to the place. I once went to England for a whole summer on a study program with my college literature department. It was a dream come true, yet what did I miss? . . . Corn fields.
7.) What books do you plan to read for the season?
Oh dear, I haven't even thought about it. I'll be finishing one very-consuming writing job on June 12 and starting a new writing job June 16th, and until I get past that learning curve, I won't be reading much.
8.) How does the summer affect your faith? Is it a hindrance or an ally?
I think it must be an ally. I have SAD (seasonal affective disorder), and I get very depressed in winter. Plus, I love to see the growing things.
Sunday, June 1, 2008
Barbara of views from the road tagged me for a meme about summer. The rules are the usual ones. (If memes aren't your thing, you can skip down to my regular Sunday post.)
1.) What first tells you that summer is here?
And you gentle reader, if you want to play.